tiistai 18. joulukuuta 2012

Greetings from Spain!


Text created by Laura Kärkkäinen who lost her password to the blog... :D 

Laura is a member of Camos Board who has been in Barcelona since May. Here's her thoughts about doing a rehearsal abroad!



"My decision to do the advanced training in Barcelona had several reasons. I did my exchange program here and I fell in love with Catalonya that with its rich culture differentiates a lot from the rest of Spain. In addition,  I was  enthusiastic in learning fluent Spanish. 

The most challenging and time-consuming phase of the process was first to get hired and later to pass the training course. I feel very proud of myself to have managed to find a job in the middle of the economical crises that Spain is struggling with.  I was supposed to stay here over the summer but as I got this opportunity thanks to the Erasmus movement Rovaniemi University of Applied sciences, this is my eight month here!

Training course was very intense, interesting and challenging. Even though my level of Spanish is rather high, sometimes I faced moments of despair. The last challenge during the training course of 2 weeks was to pass the final exams that were held partly in English. I was extremely exhausted and I remember how I cried at the parking lot of the airport after having passed the exams with a good degree.

Finally, I started to work as a passenger service agent at check-in, boarding gates and Lost & Found department.




Me in my Uniform


My personal experiences during the training/working period for Menzies Aviation were positive, challenging and rewarding. It has not been easy to realize the cultural and linguistic differences between the cultures and equality in working life. I got friends at the work and received a decent training before the first shifts. The majority of my colleagues and supervisors treated me kindly and I got to work independently.

Despite the fact that I have earned less than 50 % of what I would have earned in Finland, I appreciate this experience. The biggest reason for my ambition to survive abroad is my strong will to live independently. Sometimes it’s very hard because the feeling of certain “homelessness” is following me wherever I go.

What comes to the international ambiance, I have to tell that due to my open-minded personality I find it easier to live abroad than in Finland. Spanish people live with their whole heart and so do I. I never have to talk quietly or stop laughing/crying as some people suggest me to do in my home country. 

As Barcelona is a big metropolitan, you can find all kind of people here. For many people, this is a city where you are encouraged to find your own way. Wandering among other survivors somehow gives one comfort and strength we all need in this life.

My tip for the students traveling to Spain is to study Spanish as much as possible because otherwise it's hard to manage with the local people. Students who don’t know any Spanish should not study or do their trainings at the local enterprises because it's surprisingly challenging since local people do not have as high level of English as Finnish people do. Having at least good basics in Spanish help students to find accommodation without getting “robbed”, open a local bank account, get a library card and transportation card etc.

Now that my working/training has finished, I am ready to return to Rovaniemi and finish my studies. I hope to be able to communicate with international students and listen to their experiences, worries and joys! As next year I will be concentrating on the well being of students, I am willing to organize laid back reunions at the living room of students, right in front of the Student Union’s office.

See you in January!

-Laura-"

1 kommentti:

  1. In the future I would like to visit Spain and study for a long period in Barcelona. Some people tell me that it is a fantastic place for knowing new people, and it is full of opportunities for the students!
    Annie

    VastaaPoista